Advertainamaina

My thoughts on sponsored content, product placement, branded entertainment, and advertainment.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Product Placement Palooza

I never realized how much product placement is used in movies. I think because I am desensitized to the brands that are prominent in my life, I fail to see them portrayed for all to see on the big screen. I thought I would look into it more after reading an article from The Center for Media Research that stated that the US is the largest paid product placement market, spending 1.5 billion in 2005.

While I do notice blatant product placement (and sometimes get angry at how obvious it is) I thought it would be cool to find out what I have been missing in my advertising-oblivion. To my surprise, it is hard to find a new movie without product placement. The Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Dead Man's Chest, was the only recent movie I found lacking product placement. Of course, it was only the highest grossing movie of the year.

All of the products caught in films can be found at BrandChannel.com. I guess since my whole life I have been exposed to prominent brands, I tune them out. It's good to see what I have been missing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home